"If someone attacks me, what should I do? How can I defend myself?"


Joe Sparrow, a deputy with the Monroe County Sheriff's Office and a second-degree black belt in karate, said people would come up to him and ask, "If someone attacks me, what should I do? How can I defend myself?"


"The most important thing is, you have to be prepared when something bad happens or someone tries to attack you. If you're prepared, you're in a much better position," said Sparrow

He said dangerous situations often trigger a "fight or flight" response. Sparrow said doing nothing is worse.

"The most important thing is not to freeze. Because bad things often happen when you do absolutely nothing."

He said simple verbal communication can deter an attacker. "I tell people, 'If someone comes at you, you have to say something, you have to shout, to disrupt them; you can't just let them have their way.'"

Sparrow said simply shouting "stop" at a would-be attacker could deter the person.

He also told attendees that sometimes it's just best to run away from your attacker


Read More: http://www.poconorecord.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20120415/NEWS/204150331
Image: http://butlercreative.blogspot.ca/2010/12/kodi-colip-stop-sign-design-final.html

No comments: